Thursday, January 8, 2009

pump it up

Gosh, I'm so full of tea right now. This is the first time I've gotten to the bottom of a full pot of tea without it going cold, thanks to the attractive tea cozy Rachel gave me for Christmas (thanks, Rach!). With the ridiculous wind today I needed to get warm, so had a shower and fixed myself a pot of tea. Mmm... tea...

I don't really like hot things, so it's funny that I'd want my tea pot to stay hot, but I like a lot of milk in my tea (probably because I don't like it hot) and it has to be a certain temperature for ideal conditions. Really, it stems from my childhood when my sister and I would have tea parties with mini china sets (probably why I love china now, now that I think about it) and would be alloted just one mini pot of tea between the two of us. To stretch out the party, we would put just a dash of tea into the cups and fill up the rest with milk and sugar, concocting a sugary milk with a slightly beige tinge. We were allowed to have as much milk as we wanted, but the tea was strictly rationed. Mom really should have rationed the sugar.

This evening I had an orientation at the fitness centre up the street from my house. I don't know what I was expecting. Obviously not an hour-long workout because at the last minute I thought I should put on some track pants just in case, and it's a good thing I did. The person I was scheduled with wasn't there; instead, I got Dave who is a nice young man who looked far too cool to be working in a gym at the community centre, wearing jeans and a cap. He made me do a full workout, documenting it all so I can do it for the next 6 weeks without him. He said that he probably was supposed to just show me how to turn on the machines and stuff, but that didn't seem very productive. Frick, working out is HARD. I've never actually had someone go through what I should be doing for results. He promised that if I follow this routine I will feel better and start to firm up. Woohoo! Firming up!

Guess I need to cut back on sugar in my tea.

Today I had training at UBC for an online reference service, so checked with my friend Shirin if I could meet her for lunch. It just so happened that she was meeting Eileen and Heidi at the same time that I had my break, so I got three excellent ladies at once. Riding the B-Line out to UBC I realised that I don't miss UBC at all. It just seems so cold and foreign. I'm kind of glad I didn't get that job there; I really like Langara and I think SFU has a lot of potential. I mean, I spend a majority of my time in new(ish)ly constructed libraries, so they're pretty to look at, which is a HUGE bonus at work. I know UBC has the Barber Centre and all, but... it's just different. I don't like that building as much.

I am still keeping my eye open for jobs in Dubai. There were a couple of postings for Qatar that I don't have enough experience for, but am interested in. Would be so rad... except for the no-drinking thing.

No comments: