Wednesday, January 21, 2009

rash decisionmaking

I'm a total liar.

I keep saying how I'm so broke and that I'm supposed to fix my finances this year so I'm not in the lurch with my sporadic workplaces when contracts end. This seems to be true in my mind, that I've got some financial instability and such. It may be true; it's hard to know when I have uneven paychecks going in and out six times a month. But apparently I don't believe it enough.

This morning I booked a trip to Chicago at the end of April. Last May I vowed I'd go back before the end of July to see the "Chic Chicago" exhibit at the Chicago History Museum. I don't often let on how obsessed I still am with historic costume, but it's quite intense, I assure you. I've had to ignore it to allow myself to function because, as with most things I obsess about, I am wholly consumed by such interests and have a hard time thinking of anything else. Dior's New Look? Love it in full, binding and padding and all. Charles Frederick Worth is IT. I've got the image of a dress from the Met Costume Institute permanently imprinted in my mind. I can't wait.

Of course, I'm not going to Chicago only for the clothing exhibit. I'm also going to look at the cemetery. I'm plotting out my route now so I can see the gravestones of everyone I want to see. The last time I was there the weather was terrible the day we were by the cemetery (graveyard, if you wish) and neither of us wanted to trudge through the mud and rain. My friend's car also had some issues, thanks to his brother-in-law, so we couldn't take the trip out of town for a Frank Lloyd Wright tour he had planned. I'm hoping to remedy these things this time.

So I've got three months to save up pennies and pay down my debt.

No comments: