Wednesday, January 28, 2009

letting sunshine in/overcoming the doldrums

For the last little while I've been feeling altogether unmotivated. I don't know if I'm fighting a cold or just depressed, but the thought of leaving my house and/or doing anything, even things that are good for me, makes me uneasy. I've not been to the gym this week at all, despite having the last three mornings free, and haven't left my house except for work. Yuck.

This morning, though, I stumbled upon a couple of new blogs that made me feel a little more hopeful. One is a food blog from Estonia that has loads of yummy recipes, and she forages wild fruit and mushrooms, something I love. The other is from a photographer in Brooklyn that just seems happy and sweet and does fun, simple things to make other people's lives a little nicer.

After reading those (instead of hauling my bum to the gym), I remembered I had a chocolate bar hoarded from work yesterday, remnants of a going away party I couldn't attend. As good a time as any to break it out. Bittersweet chocolate is starting to appeal to me, and I liked the idea of chipotle in chocolate. I keep looking at that Lindt bar with chili peppers and thinking, today I should get that, but then talk myself out of it. This one had a very subtle pepper taste in the ganache filling; I would have liked something a bit more obvious. It also reminds me I still have a packet of Mayan chili hot chocolate mix in my cupboard from a chocolate shop in Toronto. This may be the week to concoct it.

I also got a book out of the library earlier this week, but didn't get a chance to look through it right away. It's got some cute things that I'd like to try, most things involving felt. My supply of felt is slightly dwindled from previous projects, but there's probably still enough to complete one of each project in the book. I'm also buoyed by the suggestion that someone I know might want to get some of the ornaments I made for gifts this year. I'm thinking about it, but can't imagine anyone would want to pay what it costs in labour. I need to price it out. The projects might also be a little too cutesy for me and I'd really need to sell these outside a preschool because I don't know anyone who would actually want some of the stuff in this book. Not that they're disgusting or anything; just too much. It's a Japanese book translated into English, so some of the captions are kind of hilarious and a lot of the projects make me think of what elementary school children carried around. Last I checked, I'm not a small Japanese child. But spending as much time around this stuff as I did, I'm still partial to cuter things than someone of my age should. At least I don't have stuffed animals displayed around my house (and, if I owned a car, I wouldn't have a cemetery of sun-faded stuffed animals in my car window, either).

I should really make the mac & corn casserole I meant to make on Monday (but felt unmotivated to do) so I have something for lunch tomorrow. I'm teaching two classes at Bennett tomorrow and meeting the boy with Sideshow Bob hair for coffee between. It will be the first time we've spoken in 1 1/2 years. Eek.

1 comment:

Orfamay said...

I also have been eying that Lindt bar.