Wednesday, January 14, 2009

mix-up

My brain is a sieve. I told a friend I'd call him the next day and that was, like, 2 weeks ago. Craaaaap. I keep forgetting what day it is, what time I have to work on any given day. Things are starting to blur together. I'd think I was crazy if it were possible to be crazy when you think you're crazy.

Yesterday I went to see "The Wrestler" with my friend. I had intended to go by myself, but then asked him at the last second to be inclusive. (I realise I do this a lot, asking people to do things when I don't expect them to say yes. Like the asking is really all that matters. Most of the time I don't know what to say when people say yes because I make mental plans to do things alone sometimes and the addition of another person throws me off. Then I start to worry that if they have a bad time or don't enjoy whatever it is I invited them to that they will blame me and badmouth me to other people, and then when I actually do want people to do stuff with me they won't because I've built a reputation of having bad taste in social activities. Guess I should go back to counselling... Actually, since this year I'll be doing things regardless whether or not people come with, I guess it won't matter as much.) I was a little nervous about his potential enjoyment when he was surprised to hear that Mickey Rourke was in the film. "Isn't he, like, 80 or something?" he asked. I assured him that, despite the plastic surgery, I was pretty sure he was only in his 50s. He asked if I was sure because he'd been around for a long time.

It was at this point that I realised his confusion. He thought I meant Mickey Rooney. I tried not to laugh in his face. Imagine Mickey Rooney in "The Wrestler." How awesome would that be?

My friend really like the movie and we discussed it on the way to Artigiano for hot drinks before I had to go to work. Note to self: don't get the hot chocolate at Artigiano because it's never chocolaty enough. I liked the movie, but it made me sad and feel sort of hopeless.

What's weird today: Dustin Hoffman said something in an interview about Arp relationships. I wondered what that was, so did a search. Holy crap, it was kind of freaky because the first link basically outlined my feelings toward relationships (except for that little bit about physical activity), even though I don't think it's what DH was referring to. Still... It creeped me out.

Because of my most recent hydro bill, I've turned my heat down again to a balmy 13'C. I'll turn it down more if I have to; that bill was SCARY. I'd rather leave my faucet trickling than pay another bill like that. To potential visitors: I'll turn it up for you, but otherwise I'm aiming to be down to 10'C, depending on the weather. I'd turn it off completely if that weren't crazy in the middle of January.

No comments: