Tuesday, January 6, 2009

alone, on being

The only thing I promised myself this year (I refuse to call it a resolution because I don't believe in resolutions) is to spend more time doing things I like, regardless if I'm alone, and being OK with that. I'm thinking specifically about going out to eat at restaurants I like alone, going on with plans when people cancel, and just doing whatever I normally would feel uncomfortable doing alone. I've been OK with going to rock shows alone or movies alone, but a more pronounced, obvious aloneness has always made me feel weird. I'm going to try to make it feel more normal this year.

Last Friday I had a really good meal with TP at a newish restaurant on Main called Grub. We barely even looked at the print menu, instead hemming and hawing over the tasty-looking daily specials on the blackboard. We both decided on the pork: stuffed pork chops with parsnip risotto and asparagus. It was so good! And apparently it appealed to a lot of people because we got the last two chops. The guys at the next table expressed their disappointment audibly when the waitress crossed it off the menu and they kept looking at ours while we ate. I'd like to go again and see what other specials they have on a different day; every dish I saw looked amazing. I'm trying to find comparable stuffed pork chops recipes that I can make at home. Mmm...

Yesterday I started at SFU and it went pretty OK. Funnily, the easiest questions were the hardest to answer. I kind of like that campus. The building itself is spectacular; Bing Thom designed it and in nicer weather I'm sure the light coming in is amazing. It's kind of fun to work in a colourful library.

After work, I took the train downtown and parked myself at the Railway ridiculously early for the singalong. Lucky thing I got there so early because the place started to fill up shortly after I arrived and I had to fend off people trying to take over my table. I was relieved when the other girls showed up. It was a lot of fun and almost all the songs were ones I'd have wanted to sing anyway. Claire took notes for a playlist and Sara shared the scoop on an addictive children's program that she got hooked on in Scotland. (She brought back packets of instant Bird's Custard for me in light of my disastrous attempt when making custard for my birthday trifle. Such a sweet girl!) We had Rock Creek cider (yum!) and a good chat. On a trip to the w/c, I fell into a conversation with a couple of drunk women who told me I was lucky not to have wrinkles (apparently, according to them, I won't get wrinkles because I have bags under my eyes) and I looked 25. Uh huh, I totally believe drunks. We got into a conversation about relationships and breakups (one of the women was newly separated from her husband whom she's been with for 14 years; she's 31) and how it would be nicer if people in Vancouver would talk to each other more easily. The night slowed shortly after, with people not singing "I Want Candy" and the band stopping playing mid-song. Sara and Lorne drove me home when Sara's head started drooping from jetlag.

This morning I woke with a sore head. From a pint and two ciders! Guess I should stick with hard liquor.

Am hoping to see "The Wrestler" this week when it opens and to meet up with my friend with news that he's a cop. Can't wait for the stories when that happens.

No comments: