Sunday, January 4, 2009

in brief

People kept looking at me oddly today. I know I didn't spontaneously become disfigured, so perhaps they loved my awesome slept-on hair.

At least three people semi-stalked me at work today. One made a point of letting me know he'd seen me on another floor.

Daily observation: many people ride up escalators with their hands resting on their hips. Probably 87% of all escalator riders.

Around 92% of all recipes I want to make this week include cheese as an ingredient.

I really want to see "The Wrestler" when it comes out, which coincides with a local amateur wrestling league's wrestling night just days later. Wrestling on the brain.

The desperation for warm, dry feet is making me look at Sorels. This week the temperature is supposed to rise to 9'C, so it's a battle of will: wait for the snow to melt into a big wet mess and suffer through with rain boots or cave and buy winter boots I'll likely only wear a few more days with the potential for more snowy weather later in the month. It will depend on MEC having the ones I like in my size shipped here.

Tomorrow I hope to become smarter when I start helping smart people find stuff that will make them smarter.

My friend gave me the niftiest hat yesterday that actually goes with pretty much every coat I own. Remarkable!

People dress abysmally in the winter here. Why are people so afraid to wear something bright or at least slightly coloured? No wonder people start to lose their shit by the end of January.

I just made a surprisingly tasty meal with a $0.72 sole fillet, chickpeas and cumin (among other ingredients) alongside a green salad with a dressing shaken in a jam jar. I never make dressings that way, but will from now on because it's just more fun to throw things into a jar and see what happens. I revisited the recipe index on everybody likes sandwiches and this was one of the recipes I decided to make this week. I'm also going to try a ham & cheese spoonbread if I can find smoked paprika.

1 comment:

Orfamay said...

I like the word nifty! And I'm glad you like your hat.
Bring the spoon bread to work if you make it.