Friday, January 2, 2009

2009: 1, me: 0

This year is already off to a bad start. Incidents of the last 24 hours:

1) During a trip out to SFU Surrey to see where I'll be working next week, everything was OK. I got to campus, walked around the building, couldn't see the library, so asked the security guard approximately where it was in the locked building. He told me the university was closed. I said I knew that, but wondered, roughly, where the library was. He repeated that it was closed, but on the first floor "over there" with a gesture. I asked if those were the stairs that led to the library "over there" and he repeated AGAIN that the university was closed. I said that I had to be at campus next week and just wanted to know how to get to the library because I didn't have a lot of time to hunt for it next week. He said it was hard to miss. I disagreed silently. Then I asked where there were any washrooms in the complex and he repeated his mantra, to which I said I meant in the entire structure (it's a big building with shops) and he said, "There are lots." Fucker. I just went back to the Skytrain to transport me away from hell.

2) On the Skytrain, a young man sat beside me with his music so loud that, even with my iPod plugged into my ears, his drowned out mine. I covered my ear with my fluffy mitten and that helped. Things were fine until we stopped at a raised station and he went to the open door and blindly flung his half-drunk bourgie drink off the platform onto the busy street below. And then he plunked himself down beside me again and turned his music up even louder. My teeth are sore from jaw clenching.

3) During a brief MSN conversation with a friend, who signed onto MSN specifically to talk to me, we got into a fight because he was talking to his girlfriend (who he's been with since Tuesday) instead of me. I pointed out that he said he signed on to talk to me so I didn't understand why he wasn't actually talking to me. He said he couldn't sustain two conversations at once, so I said I'd talk to him next week (since I work all weekend). He accused me of being passive-aggressive and gave me a lecture about how I wasn't angry at him; I was angry that I wasn't getting enough attention. His tactic is actually a form of verbal abuse, but I refrained from mentioning that and instead said I had plans this weekend that will keep me away from the computer and that I'd talk to him next week. Guh.

I'm not a terrible person, I'm not a terrible person, I'm not a terrible person...

Today I'm going to venture out for boots I can't afford before work because I'm tired of having wet feet from my subpar "winter" boots or slipping in my rain boots. Will this weather ever end?

No comments: