Friday, November 11, 2005

remembering

Current mood: melancholy

This morning I went to the cenotaph for the Remembrance Day ceremony and it was so miserable out. My friend pointed out that it was the least we could do to be somewhat uncomfortable in the rain for the hour or so we were there. I don't know that having nice weather on a day like today is appropriate. It's such a small sacrafice.

My dad called to let me know my Legion membership renewal is ready. When people incrediously ask why I'm a Legion member I have to stop myself from pulling out the old soap box and ranting about the younger generations' responsibility to continue to support our veterans of all wars, including the organisations that serve them as they age. With so many branches closing each year, it's the least I can do. I worry about all branches closing, the dissolution of the Legion, the loss of importance in Remembrance Day. I can't believe some provinces don't recognise it as a holiday. How far are we from it being just another day?

Currently listening:
Believe in Your Country
By Stompin Tom Connors
Release date: 19 October, 2000

No comments: