Monday, November 7, 2005

hi fi/lo fi emotions

Current mood: topsy turvy

Yesterday I watched "Pretty In Pink" for, literally, the thousandth time and made a connection that I hadn't made before. See, one of the people I love most in the world I met over the internet. And the scene where Blaine sends the message to Andie while she's working on the computer... Well, the romanticism got me choked up. Sure, sure, they talked in Trax when he bought that shitty Steve Lawrence record, but that wasn't really talking. The computer exchange really got it all started.

And then, inspired by the "Pretty In Pink" soundtrack my wicked awesome friend Darcy gave me (signed by Jon Cryer!!!), I started listening to records and thought they were singing to me right at that moment. Reminding me. Telling me what I should be feeling. That being miserable is the right thing. That Comet Gain really recorded one of the most perfect songs when you're a girl feeling all sorry for yourself that the person you love can't love you back the way you want to be loved.

I saw that Comet Gain has a new album out shortly. I'm afraid to get it because I don't want them to convince me of some new feeling. I find comfort in the old familiar feelings they've been telling me about for years. "The world was never meant for us to sparkle, baby." The remembering makes my heart hurt, and it's nice to know that it's there sometimes. Twee as fuck.

Currently listening:
Sneaky
By Comet Gain
Release date: 23 September, 1997

No comments: