Tuesday, December 15, 2009

unseasonally

Last night was supposed to be the big snow storm of the season. By the time I got into Vancouver, it was raining and has been since. I didn't have a problem getting in to work today, and giving myself two hours to get to my other job is far more generous than necessary. Hopefully.

Only 10 days to Christmas, but I haven't done a thing for it. Too many other things to do, like visit with friends.

Last week my dear friends Dulcie, Nels and wee Hugo were in town from Edmonton and we got to hang out a couple of days. Thursday after work we had a visit and headed to Burgoo for eats. I had a soup and sandwich combo, which sounds pretty uneventful, but the chicken and corn chipotle soup was amazing and the three cheese grilled cheese was so tasty. We each had strawberry lemonade and shared a sticky toffee pudding. It literally took hours to get through our meal, but was a nice place to cozy up and catch up. Saturday we spent most of the day together, catching breakfast at 3 Lions on Broadway and hitting a craft sale on Main before popping to Rachel and Nathan's for a cookie party. So many kids, but they were fun and it was nice to see a few friends I don't get to see very often. We followed that up with a trip to Japadog and then headed back to their hotel to rest. We watched an episode of "Birds of Prey" (so melodramatic) and then they drove me homeward. A very nice visit.

Friday after work I went to a work party. It was kind of dull, as everyone seems to be either boring or keeping up appearances. Our table didn't get rowdy, but at least we appeared to have a pulse. I wasn't sad at all when my co-worker/ride suggested we could leave around 9:30. I was ready to go at 8.

Sunday I worked at Langara and it was pretty slow. The last week of exams is pretty uneventful, so I didn't do much reference, and the task for the day wasn't particularly engaging. I did get to see a couple of co-workers that I really like, so that was good. My contract boss picked me up to go to our director's house for an open house. I was going for the food, as I assumed she'd have hors d'oeuvres. She did, and they were so tasty. Pancetta-wrapped chipotle shrimp, three mushroom and carmelised onion packets, mac & cheese balls, stuffed mushroom caps, mini cheese quiches, cheesecake pops... It was all quite fantastic. I talked mainly with a new colleague who is into the same sorts of music as me, so it was fun to talk about music with someone. The house was an interesting design, right off Pt.Grey Road, designed by a prominent interior designer. Fantastic artwork, astonishing view.

This week I'm riding the Stanley Park train, hopefully while drunk; attending another, better work dinner (excited!!!); working my first shift in months at VPL; popping to my friends' house after they finish moving (such a cruel friend I am, planning work on their recently-planned move day) for a BBQ; and trying to get everything together for Christmas (like gifts or baking or something) in less than 4 days. When are stores having their midnight shopping?

No comments: