Monday, December 7, 2009

sunrise, sunset

For almost two weeks, I have to make up extra hours for one of the days I was sick. It means functioning almost completely in darkness (dark when I go to work, dark when I leave work), but the real kicker is the lack of sleep when I have to wake up at 6am or earlier. The days of being able to function on 3 or 4 hours of sleep are gone.

The saving grace for early mornings is that I almost get to see the sunrise when the weather is fine. These days of clear coldness make for bright horizons with tinges of pinks and oranges illuminating the navy mornings. I like morning light, even when it's just a teasing idea. One morning the colours made me catch my breath, the sharp reds and oranges puncturing holes in the distant charcoal clouds.

Saturday I met Rachel for floats and BLTs, in that order, the sandwiches acting as dessert (mmmm.... baaaacon....), and a good chat about stuff and things. Later I met my sister for sushi and the Giants game. I bought a couple of teddy bears for the Teddy Bear Toss; she didn't really "get" why I would do that. The game was pretty fast, but the Giants didn't score until near the end of the 1st period. People had gotten pretty antsy (the toss part comes when the Giants score their first goal), so the place totally errupted with flying faux fur carcasses. My sister, showing no emotions or interest through the whole evening, smiled at the piles and piles of toys on the ice. Getting hit in the back of the head with soft stuffed things made her laugh. It was pleasing.

Yesterday I met my sister to buy bus tickets home for Christmas. My dad has become increasingly concerned with the Hope-Princeton and strongly offered to pay for our bus tickets home. I finally mentioned it to my sister and she agreed because she has to buy new tires anyway. I went to Fabricland to buy some stuff (50% off pretty much everything) and came away with three cuts of fabric and some notions. Last evening I went to Brittany's for dinner since she's on a home cooking kick. We had a really good Thai soup and caught up on her trip and stuff. Just after I got there, I got a weird call from a guy I was seeing earlier in the year, who just stopped talking to me despite having common friends. I couldn't talk, so I'm extremely curious to see why he called. Boys are an enigma to me; I don't understand them at all.

No comments: