Tuesday, April 22, 2008

bitch, on being a

My co-worker picked up a requested book that she decided wasn't what she was looking for and passed it on to me. "Why men love bitches" gives a little hint as to why the meanest girls seem to have guys falling over themselves. I'm hoping it's a satire.

When I did my undergrad, a large number of my male friends would often tell me I was a bitch, though not meant in a bad way. I didn't really care anyway; I kind of was. I don't know that being a bitch is really enough to get and keep people interested in you, though. And I kind of resent that not taking crap from people means you're a bitch. No one should have to take crap.

Usually people just blamed my bitchiness on being a Scorpio anyway.

I was much happier when I cared less about the stupid shit people would do that affected me. It was usually easier to stop talking to people than to talk things out. At some point someone suggested that it was childish to do the former rather than the latter so I got a bit more touchy-feely. In hindsight I don't think touchy-feely is the way to go. Talking things out... I'm not a fan.

Still, I guess burning bridges with people isn't a great method either.

If I could, I would just phone in to radio shows for advice on how to deal with things that a bitchier me wouldn't tolerate.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aren't male friends fun???

Someone once told me "you don't suffer fools gladly" ... (a male friend BTW) at first i was a bit offput by that...I'm a nice person, I thought to myself... But it is true... I don't suffer fools gladly... That is just me! I try to be more tolerant and calm and neutral about stuff...but sometimes you end up being a "bitch". I have used both methods: the ignore/run away/I'm otta here method, and the let's talk it out/ conflict negotiation method...sometimes it works and sometimes it don't. I try to strive for a happy medium.... taking the high road whenever possible.... I'm still learing.
In situations like this I often refer to Kenny Rogers - "you gotta know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away, know when to run!" It works on so may levels.
And if that doesn't work...then I turn to the wise wisdom of my mother when she told me the sage words:
"fuck 'em, if they can't take a joke"

ric-rac said...

Your mom speaks the truth, as does Kenny Rogers. I usually don't care about being called a bitch because it isn't usually meant in a bad way or I just assume it isn't. If someone says I'm mean, that's a whole other thing.

BTW, my friend tipped me off to this and I think it's time to share. The timing seems appropriate.

Anonymous said...

too funny and too creepy!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.