Saturday, June 6, 2009

you probably thought i had more upstairs

Does Facebook know something I don't? It's telling me Camera Obscura is playing RIGHT NOW at the Commodore, but I was at that show and it seemed to be over when I left. Now I question myself...

There was a decent-sized crowd there and I didn't have to avoid thrashers and no one stepped on my toes and no tall men pushed past me to get to the front. It was thoroughly pleasant. A young man stood behind me, but didn't talk to me, even though he kept looking like he was going to, and danced close enough that I could feel his breath on my neck. I just had no voice to actually talk. (I said something to two people around me and I think I sounded like a Muppet. Seemed very unnatural, even for me.) There were a large number of young men who knew a lot of the words to songs and one boy gave them grossly oversized corsages made of fake flowers and a mixed CD. Boys have crushes on those Camera Obscura girls.

Tracyanne and Carey wore dresses and heels and hair ornamentation (Tracyanne had a feather headband thing that was actually more chic than I'm making it sound and Carey had a chiffon scarf tied round and knotted like a headband which was also more chic than I'm making it sound). It makes me want to finish that dress fast so I can wear it either this weekend or early next week. Need more flats. Gotta get on the Summer of Dresses but quick. It's time to feel like a lady.

On my way home, I passed by the guy who used to play outside the Black Dog all the time, playing on Granville. It was super weird... There's still a bunch of construction along Granville, which has bunged up the sidewalks, so there isn't room to really stop in certain sections. He was in the nook of a storefront and started playing just before I got near him and people just stopped dead in their tracks and pressed themselves against the gates that keep them away from the construction. Like, 20 people just stopped, mesmerised like rats or children or whatever by the Pied Piper. That doesn't happen very often around here. He's gotten really amazing, though, so much more than when he had the acoustic guitar and the long hair. It made me smile and feel a little nostalgic for those late nights post-Black Dog when we'd go to the Funky Pickle for drunken slices and sit on the curb, half-listening to him play, lamenting on important life issues.

The moon was rather full (though not full) and slightly orangey tonight. I love that it shows up brightly while it's still light out. Tonight I waited for the bus around 9:45 and thought back to when I had a "be home before dark" curfew going into grade 8. I probably could have gotten away with 10pm tonight!

Oh, I think I've figured out why I'm unlovable: I think I smell. Like, smell to distraction. I'm not all together sure, though. My mouth seems to smell weird on one side between two teeth, my feet enjoy producing fumes, my deodorant fails me... I either have to meet someone who lacks the ability to smell (thereby making a dreadful match since people who can't smell sometimes lose their quality of life entirely and then kill themselves, such as Michael Hutchence) or die alone. My two options; neither seems particularly good.

Yesterday I neglected to mention that my couch came with matching throwpillows. This makes me feel adult-like, but not as much as the fact that my Eames chairs match the couch. Now if I just had a more grown-up TV stand and a TV with an actual remote... Then I'd be as close to being a adult as I'm going to get.

Indeed, these are the thoughts in my head while sober. Imagine what flies through after a good dose of gin.

No comments: