Monday, June 29, 2009

rhubarbian

When my parents visited earlier this month, I asked Mom if she could bring me some more rhubarb. I finished the stash I had frozen from last year and can't imagine actually paying for rhubarb when Mom can't even begin to use all of hers.

I can't remember ever not liking rhubarb. I may have come out of the womb sucking on a stalk of the stuff. Whenever people say they don't like rhubarb I just feel so sorry for them, that they're missing out on something they just don't understand. Rhubarb is such a misunderstood vegetable.

Most of the recipes I've made with rhubarb have turned out pretty good, but I always like to try new ones to mix it up a bit. I thought back to the upside down cranberry cake I've made a few times and thought I'd try it with rhubarb instead. It turned out so good that I don't even want to share it with anyone, even though I probably shouldn't eat an entire cake by myself, even if half of it is rhubarb. I might freeze half of it and try to stop myself from eating the rest of it. Seriously, I can't even begin to explain how good it is. Really, really, really good. So good.

After work I popped over to Windsor for some sausages and chicken, and discovered they have single freezer packs. The list is pretty impressive and I'm totally thinking about it because it would mean a variety of cuts that I don't have to choose, all ready to toss in the freezer. Considering how often I buy/cook meat as it is, I have a feeling I'd be living off it for quite a while. And, don't ask me why, but I was sort of excited that soup bones are tossed in for free, which means broth without having to cut out the bones. I'm excited about bones.

Wish I could go berry picking. My freezer is low on frozen fruit.

1 comment:

hag said...

Karen the Rubarbarian