Friday, June 19, 2009

never ending story

This is getting out of hand.

Today is a perfect example of why I banned myself from fabric stores entirely for 3 or 4 years. I already had a slew of fabric for a variety of dress patterns I want to try out. That's fine. No problem. But at the sale today, I bought another Vintage Vogue pattern and decided to peruse the bargain section because it was the only way I could afford to make it (it requires about 7 metres of fabric because it's a 1957 dress with a very full skirt). I bought 7.5 metres of a $3 pinky cherry blossom print fabric that was 50% off. When you do the math, it's $11.25 for the fabric. All notions were 50% off, so with the zipper and thread included, it will cost $14 to make this dress (since it's for me I'm not going to worry about labour costs).

Doing the math just makes me want to buy more. This has to stop. I haven't even mentioned the other fabric I bought for another 1960 dress. (I'm nearing completion on the trial run of it and it actually looks pretty neat with no real alterations, though it may be a bit snug, but I won't know until the zipper that I forgot to buy is sewn in.)

Those who have now seen the hideous dress were much kinder than I believe they should have been. People looked at me slightly oddly while I waited for the bus this evening, which I didn't really care about because the dress is comfortable and I can't begrudge a dress that has such ample pockets and that gives my belly room to wiggle. But to me it's obvious it's made with quilting fabric that isn't pretty. Whenever I look into the bathroom mirror, all I can think of is Laura Ashley. This dress actually reminds me of a Laura Ashley pattern my mom sewed for me when I was in grade 10 or 11 with small flowers on a medium blue background. I really liked that dress; this one is OK, but not my favourite fabric of all the ones I've bought recently.

The problem with me is I get obsessive about something for a while until something else distracts me away. Much the same as my tangent talking. Sometimes I'll go back to my original point (or sewing), but sometimes I forget and remember ages after the fact. I have a dress that has been waiting for minor repairs for two years and I can finally finish it because I got the supplies (bias tape) needed to finish the job.

For those of you not at all interested in sewing, I feel so bad for you. Not bad enough to stop talking about my projects, but still.

Tomorrow I'm finally going to get my hair cut/coloured after months of declining style. I got a coupon at work for a salon downtown. Hopefully my fake sister-in-law will be back to styling soon; she had a baby in May and wanted to be back at work, at least a couple days a week, by the end of August. I sure hope so. I'm so afraid to go to someone else who doesn't understand my hair.

Oh, my friend Duncan sent me a link to the new Evaporators' video for "The Bombs in my Pants" because parts of it were filmed at that show I went to in Strathcona months ago. It is of interest because my face figures prominently in the video. Neat!

No comments: