Friday, December 19, 2008

the ongoing quest (for butter, unsalted)

Down to the final stretch.

I bought some bourbon yesterday for the chocolate bourbon cake I promised to take to a party tomorrow, so today I'll have to get down to business and bake it. I find it slightly strange that I've had a bundt cake pan almost since graduating from high school, yet have never owned a car. At the liquor store I asked the guy if they sell any bourbons (other than Jack Daniels, which is not a bourbon) in bottles smaller than 750ml. He thought no and asked if I was going to cook with it or something. I guess I don't look the type to drink bourbon. We had a short, confusing discussion about the difference between Tennessee sour mash and bourbon; I totally forgot all this from my indexing assignment on whisk(e)y last year. If this recipe turns out I guess I'll be able to make another two cakes with the remaining bourbon. Or one visit from a drunk.

On Sunday I'm going to my friends' house for cookies and Christmas cheer (possibly in a drink format), and recall saying I'd bring some cookies. I've been doing that a lot lately, volunteering to bring baking to places. (Mental note: stop doing that before loading up on more butter.) Rather than bake the standard chocolate chip cookies I've perfected (like, seriously, I make a kickass chocolate chip cookie) or the molasses ginger cookies I promised to bake for my parents' visit (and have yet to bake), I decided to try a new recipe. We'll see how it goes, but don't bacon cookies sound bewitching? If you've ever put syrup on your bacon, I'm pretty sure you're intrigued by the suggestion. I'll let you know how they are.

Last night after work I met up with my friends to see a documentary on a couple of tribute artists and the ups and downs of "living the dream." He did Neil Diamond, his wife did a lot of Patsy Cline; together, they went by Lightning & Thunder. They went through some stuff over the 17 years together, the highlight playing with Eddie Vedder when he was still a skinny but famous kid. It was hard to hear people calling them Lightning and Thunder as though those were their given names. It was funny and sad at the same time, and I got a bit teary-eyed at the end. Thankfully the other two didn't mock me.

Off for a nap (I hate that my body is timed to wake up around 6:30/7, regardless) before a big day surrounded by baking supplies. I also have to go downtown to sign the final paperwork to start work at SFU in January and head to Canadian Tire to find sheeting to seal my crappy windows. Good times!

No comments: