Sunday, December 14, 2008

it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

The snow last night was kind of a treat, but the temperature accompanying it leaves something to be desired.

Yesterday I met up with a couple of friends for cake in early afternoon. It was so hard to get through all that cheesecake, but, thanks to a wee little glitch with my gift card not working, I'll probably get the chance again when they assign me a new one. More cake. Life is hard. I decided to dress up for the occasion, choosing the brightest outfit I have: bright pink shoes, bright green tights, a black shirt, a bright pink tank top poking out of a bright green shirt, and a Monet-esque flowery cardi from my mom's 1966 wardrobe. (My mom used to have some extremely well made, attractively designed sweater suits and dresses. Her old Burberry swing coat is my most coveted clothing item.) People don't take kindly to bright colours, or so I would assume based on the looks I got with my legs/feet poking out under my black coat. I did have a couple of people look at my legs and smile, and that's exactly how I felt every time I looked down at my legs.

Last evening TP had people over to her home and it was really nice to see a few friends that I don't get to see nearly enough. I also drank a decent amount of rum & eggnog, enough to make my face warm. With "Christmas with the Platters" playing, the Christmasy drink in my hand, shortbread near at hand and the snow starting to fall, it was the first time it's felt like Christmas is coming. Not that Christmas is ever particularly exciting... Jill and Mark gave me a ride home, thankfully, as buses were challenged by the snow and I'm pretty sure I would have had to walk home in Chuck Taylors without them. I negotiated a trade: a ride for the artificial tree I haven't put up since 1997. A good deal.

I had intentions to go to bed when I got home, but I was still a little wired from all the sugar. My friend messaged me and we decided to meet up for a late night walk around our neighbourhood in the snow. We met halfway and walked around the park near my house before he dropped me at my door. It was so quiet and bright and fricking cold; we were excited to walk around before the snow got ugly and compromised.

This morning I went to Metrotown to see if I could do some Christmas shopping, but ended up looking for clothes for work. Sales are sort of crazy right now and I've been freezing in the clothes I've got. I was not very successful because I got tired of being in the mall, but realised that not many people are aware that the malls have earlier hours on Sundays. Next week they're open until 11pm. Malls are insane places; they still frighten me.

Just woke up from a 3-hour nap to try to combat the sore throat collected into my cilia sometime in the last 4 days. I'm going through cough candies so fast I fear I'll run out faster than I can get somewhere to buy more. Not that I actually want to leave my house anymore today. It's a dilemma.

No comments: