Saturday, November 8, 2008

let the show begin

Last night I went to Last Candidate Standing, a public forum for those running for public office in the municipal election. Public Space Network put it on in conjunction with SFU and it was... interesting. I invited my friend to go with and sold it by saying it would probably be a gong show since all mayoral and council candidates were invited. Little did I know it was literally going to be a gong show.

Only 18 of 25 candidates went to the forum, but it was still worth the time. Some of the people running are so fringe that I couldn't even understand their platforms. It was fascinating to hear why people were running and I felt bad for a few because they took themselves much more seriously than their platforms would allow. Legalise cocaine and heroin? Build 2000 $500/month geothermal apartments with no money? Uh... OK. It was hard to take someone seriously when one compared himself to a virgin, one wore evergreens in a visor and another wore a red ruffled shiny shirt with a top hat.

If only all political events were so amusing.

I'm pretty excited to vote next week.

Surprises: one Work Less Party candidate was quite impressive, one of the independent mayoral candidates was someone I would consider voting for, the cocaine/heroin comment.

After the forum I popped into Slickety Jim's for a birthday party, which was pretty fun, but I stayed only long enough to chug some ginger beer, have a quick chat with friends and salute the birthday boy. Good times.

No comments: