Saturday, March 29, 2008

is that light?

Last evening I went to a "meet the grads" event for my school's alumni association. It was so strange because, in a little over 2 months, I may well be an alumni member as well. Seems like the last 20 months have flown by.

I worked on a group project for a while that may or may not be going OK. It's hard to tell because it's still in pieces. We're meeting online tonight (how different group projects are now than when I was in my undergrad; now I rarely meet my group mates in person) and then it will be more apparent how much more there is to do. The other assignment, the one that is causing me the most worry, isn't due until the 12th or something, but I desperately want to get it done or mostly done by class this week because I have do to a presentation about it. Three other assignments await my completion of the former two.

Now I find myself spending time thinking about rock shows and how to afford festivals out of town.

Over the course of the last week I wound up spending more time out than working on homework, which probably added to my stress levels. (Though last evening I spoke with one of my classmates/friends who said I'm always so calm and relaxed. Clearly she isn't around me during the key parts of the day when I can't even talk because my nerves are making me feel physically ill.) Monday I saw Plants and Animals, a band I'd wanted to see since hearing their brilliant song on Radio 3. It was the first time I'd seen my friend in ages as well, so it was nice to catch up, though to the detriment of both my attention span and my liver. I couldn't talk and listen to the bands at the same time, so only caught half the show, but it was still great. Totally worth the loss of work time. Wednesday night I went to the Media Club again with aforementioned friend to see the Born Ruffians. I'd really wanted to see BR again since the last time I saw them was the fateful blood donation birthday (they were the band I was watching when I had my "episode") and worried I'd miss something good if I didn't make up for the last time. Wise decision to go to this show, as it was pretty darn fun. Thursday I had a ticket to the hotly anticipated Vampire Weekend/YACHT show, though was looking forward to YACHT more than VW. The new girlfriend in YACHT was OK, but probably better for the guys than for me. Still, I *heart* YACHT. Vampire Weekend was OK, but, as discussed with Ken T., they're just another band at this point; nothing super special. I do, however, have a crush on the bassist with the receding hairline, even though he's just slightly older than the 12-year-old singer/guitarist.

This week I also purchased a ticket to Sled Island in Calgary. Now I just have to wait for cheap flights. The additional lineup at Pitchfork is also making me want to count my pennies for a (second) flight to Chicago this July. It's probably unwise to plan to spend all the money I don't have from my fictitious job that doesn't exist yet. Still... girls just want to have fun.

Which reminds me... NME says Cyndi Lauper's music festival is coming through town in July and features, among others, Joan Jett! Deer Lake Park, you surprise me.

No comments: