Wednesday, March 5, 2008

time of day

Wasn't today lovely? The sun was bright, the sky clear, with just the right amount of crispness in the air. I sat by the water for a smidge before my class' fieldtrip to the archives. Even though I sat on the sunniest bench, I still wound up with a cold bum. There were two bald eagles nesting in one of the trees! My MacIntosh was especially red and juicy.

On the tour, the archivist used "skookum" in a sentence. I'm not sure anyone else noticed it; half my class is foreign to the west coast and I'm not sure how often people use skookum in conversation east of the Rockies. I appreciated the adjective. (Is that right? Is it an adjective? Or an adverb?) The archives have fantastic panoramas of early Vancouver up right now. I was full of glee when we talked about freezing photographs.

My friend drove me most of the way home, dropping me at Main and 12th, so I walked home and tried to soak up as much of the light as I could. I kept humming Owl & the Pussycat songs and that made me wish I had an MP3 player so I could listen to them as I walked. My neighbourhood has a lot of stuff going on, but there were a few moments of stillness. Walking by the Western Front, the trees and power poles cast the most attractive shadows on the side.


Days like this distract me from what I know must be done. You know what I mean.
When time disconnects and you're caught in a dream. Then it's gone...

No comments: