Friday, January 8, 2010

busty

The first post of the year, but I'm not interested in recapping right now. Something is bugging me.

This week the bra/breast cancer awareness thing on Facebook kind of pissed me off. Irrationally, I suppose, but, honestly, I don't really need to be reminded of one of my greatest fears. I think about it monthly when I do my self-exam. I think about it when I hear news from my cousin who fought it. I think about it when I see two of my old co-workers who are still dealing with it.

Searching around the blogosphere today, I found more than a few cancer survivors even more pissed off than me, understandably. Those who had mastectomies... what were they supposed to put down? Those that lost their breasts, were they supposed to just ignore the reminder of what they lost?

Maybe I'm being overly sensitive, but women should be thinking about their breasts without having to be reminded one month a year or through a social networking site meme. It should be a given.

1 comment:

Orfamay said...

That meme made me a little nuts too, because I still haven't seen anything anywhere that backs up its tie to breast cancer awareness. It's glib armchair "advocacy."