Saturday, January 16, 2010

sweets

The field guide to candy has a recipe for fleur de sel caramels. This is interesting to know because I picked up some fleur de sel caramels from the chocolate shop on 21st at Main. If I didn't have a recipe for fleur de sel caramels, I might go bankrupt buying said caramels on a daily basis. They are that good. The sweetness with the saltiness... Tomorrow may involve a trip to Meinhardt's for supplies. Time to use my mom's candy thermometer.

I just swept up some fluff from my Bay blanket. It is satisfying to sweep up big red fluffs.

With Valentine's Day crap coming out in piles, I'm starting to get anxiety about having to hole up for large portions of February. It isn't fun avoiding the sympathetic glances and the you're-so-pathetic-going-to-a-movie-alone stares I get from partnered women every Februrary. I can't understand how buying red and pink crap and going out for dinner celebrates being in a relationship.

I feel sorry for the poor chumps who have to do crap their girlfriends/wives force them into to prove their affection. I see them miserably looking around the room, checking to see if anyone notices that their ties are too tight and their pants feel too snug around the waist. It isn't all of them, but there are enough to make it obvious. Valentine's Day is for women.

I miss the Japanese Valentine's Day. Women buy men candy, including male friends and fathers and brothers. Men don't have to do anything but remember who gave them candy. A month later is White Day, when men reciprocate. There's something civilised about this. (They have Valentine's Day-type stuff on Christmas, when couples and dates have a nice dinner and have sex in a hotel room. It's expected.)

But, in the end, it all comes down to candy.

No comments: