Thursday, May 8, 2008

list of my heart's contents

Things to love about the White City (limited to 10):

1) churches are built on the top of skyscrapers
2) every building prior to 1935-ish has a spectacular lobby
3) rotating doors on most buildings
4) stuffed pizza and, similarly, deep dish pizza
5) the Rock n'Roll McDonalds, with fresh flowers and a piano bar (though the same food)!
6) easy to walk around, easy to take buses/trains
7) free lunchtime tours of buildings around the Loop
8) Dunkin' Donuts on every corner (if I liked either coffee or donuts. I just find this somewhat endearing)
9) the Chicago Architecture Foundation
10) the sidewalks are mostly even, which means I don't fall down while looking upwards, which is the way I walk here

And I haven't even made it to the Graceland Cemetary, which in theory alone makes me love this place.

It is with great sadness that today I board a plane and leave pieces of my heart around Chicago. If you would like to make a donation to my flight fund, be generous.

No comments: