Wednesday, May 7, 2008

cheezborger, cheezborger, cheezborger, coke

I'm in the Washington Library, trying out the free internet access here. It's pretty kick-ass. If I decided I want to print stuff, the first 10 copies are free! But this is a pretty progressive city, with a mayor that wants everyone to have access to culture and knowledge, so I guess it goes without saying that such a system exists in the public library. It's a bit of a maze to actually get into the stacks and the marble and fantastic lighting offer a good attempt at making it seem older than it is.

I love Chicago so much that, despite what it does to my hair, I would seriously consider moving here. I've met up with my friend daily since I arrived, with good doses yesterday and this morning/afternoon. I'm glad I made plans just in case my plans with him didn't work out because they were altered significantly Monday. Still, he gave me a good tour of stuff and we talked buildings for hours, which always make me gleeful, and he schooled me on the importance of weiners and meat sandwiches in Chicago's history (the history museum even has a display on how to dress a hotdog!). There are only a few people that make me cry when I say goodbye to them: my grandparents, my parents, and him.

The buildings are something I never get used to here. Every block has another fantastic design and I'm pretty sure I took about 100 photos yesterday of buildings alone. The Chicago Fire was one of the luckiest breaks for any city in history, as it really established Chicago as the place to be in the 19th and 20th centuries. I mean, the Radio Flyer, Tinker Toys, Kraft Mac & Cheese and Schwinn were all started/invented in Chicago. Watch "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" or "Adventures in Babysitting" and tell me the city doesn't grab you.

Gotta run. I'm booked on a Happy Hour skyscraper tour tonight: walking with my head tilted upwards and a beer waiting for me at the end.

No comments: